- The gangster, the general, and the Prime Minister of Bangladesh (Al Jazeera)
- Aleksei Navalny, Russian Opposition Leader, Appears in Court (NYT, $)
- Bangladesh bought mass spying equipment from Israeli company (Al Jazeera). Spying: the thing all democracies criticize until they want to do it themselves.
- Prestigious Istanbul University Fights Erdogan’s Reach (NYT, $)
- Economics’ failure over destruction of nature presents ‘extreme risks’ (Guardian)
- Ethiopia: UN says 20,000 refugees missing in Tigray (Al Jazeera)
- Opinion | The Story Behind the Myanmar Coup (NYT, $)
- How a Deadly Power Game Undid Myanmar’s Democratic Hopes (NYT, $)
- What is happening in Myanmar? The coup, explained. (Vox)
- Coup prompts outcry from Myanmar as Biden threatens sanctions (Reuters)
- Opinion | To Understand This Era, You Need to Think in Systems (NYT, $). We may be under-hyping vaccine accomplishments as much as we initially under-panicked about Covid risk.
- Study: Russia’s Sputnik V vaccine appears safe, effective (WaPo, $). With Sputnik, Russia shot for the moon.
- The Coronavirus Brazil Variant Shows the World’s Vulnerability (Atlantic)
- Why countries with ‘loose’, rule-breaking cultures have been hit harder by Covid (Guardian)
- One Case, Total Lockdown: Australia’s Lessons for a Pandemic World (NYT, $). Fun fact: ‘One Case’ is also what Australians call the hit Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa track.