Heyo, Nik here with our latest video and summaries!
As 2020 is coming to an end, I hope you’ll find some time to reflect, rest, and recharge this December. Most of all, I hope you’ll find strength. Today’s video might help with that.
Without further ado, let’s get into this week’s books!
This is the most important video we’ve released to date.
Amy Morin is a clinical social worker and psychotherapist. She lost her husband when he was 26 and her mother and father-in-law at a relatively young age. This book is based on a viral article she wrote, which was shared over 700,000 times.
Amy has practiced what she teaches for decades, and, especially in a year like 2020, I can’t think of a more important thing to learn than to control your emotions and become mentally strong.
1-Sentence-Summary: Leadership And Self Deception is the ultimate guide to becoming self-aware by learning to see your faults more accurately, understanding other’s strengths and needs in a more generous light, and responding positively to the instinct within you to help other people as much as possible.
Top 3 Lessons:
- You see your needs as more important and other’s needs as less, which makes you forget that they are people too.
- You try to justify your view of the world by inflating your virtues and overemphasizing other’s weaknesses.
- If you want to beat self-deception you must always act on that instinct you have to help others in need.
If you want to reach a new level of success and likability with the power of self-awareness, this book is for you.
1-Sentence-Summary: Hillbilly Elegy is the inspiring autobiography of J.D. Vance who explains how his life began in poverty and turbulence and what he had to do to beat those difficult circumstances and rise to success.
Top 3 Lessons:
- J.D. had a childhood filled with difficulties.
- Life began to improve for J.D. when he moved in with his grandmother and continued to get better when he joined the military.
- Just like J.D., you can overcome any struggle or setback to live the life you want.
If you’d love to hear an inspiring rags to riches story, this book is for you.
1-Sentence-Summary: Weird Parenting Wins will make you better at raising your kids by sharing some strange ways that fathers and mothers have had success with their children, helping you see that your intuition might just be the greatest tool you have at your disposal.
Top 3 Lessons:
- Calming a child who whines will require you to put in some effort and creativity.
- Parenting can help your child feel brave and calm their overactive imagination.
- Help young kids open up about their emotions through role-play, and help teenagers by just listening.
If you want to find exciting new ways to solve the many problems that come up while parenting, this book is for you.
That’s all for now, enjoy your weekend!
PS: The easiest way to support Four Minute Books is to try Blinkist risk-free for 7 days.
If you choose to keep your subscription, we’ll get a small commission for referring you at no extra cost to you – and you’ll get 35% off! This allows us to keep the site free to use and not have any annoying ads.
If you cancel after your trial, you’ll still have gotten access to 4,500+ book summaries and audios for 7 days for free. Not a bad deal, right?
Thank you for supporting Four Minute Books!