One of the first lessons we learn in NLP – NEURO-LINGUISTIC PROGRAMMING is about what is termed as Cognitive Bias.
A cognitive bias is a mistake in reasoning, evaluating, remembering, or other cognitive process, often occurring as a result of holding onto one's preferences and beliefs regardless of contrary information.Psychologists study cognitive biases as they relate to memory, reasoning, and decision-making.
Cognitive biases are mentioned by NLP practitioners, trainers as flaws in logical thinking that are considered responsible for bad decisions, and they say that learning about these can reduce errors in the thought process, leading to a more successful life.
Cognitive Bias vs. Logical Fallacy. … A logical fallacy stems from an error in a logical argument, while a cognitive bias is rooted in thought processing errors often arising from problems with memory, attention, attribution, and other mental mistakes.
These biases are very closely said to be related to logical fallacies, which may help win an argument or present information better.
They classify Biases at Cognitive Level as –Some have defined 12 and others 25.:
2)Availability Heuristic bias
4)Choice Supportive Bias
11)Selective Perception Bias
12)Blind Spot Bias
Charlie’s Reason for Interest in Psychology
- Bias 1: Reward and Punishment Superresponse Tendency
- Bias 2: Liking/Loving Tendency
- Bias 3: Disliking/Hating Tendency
- Bias 4: Doubt-Avoidance Tendency
- Bias 5: Inconsistency-Avoidance Tendency
- Bias 6: Curiosity Tendency
- Bias 7: Kantian Fairness Tendency
- Bias 8: Envy/Jealousy Tendency
- Bias 9: Reciprocation Tendency
- Bias 10: Influence-from-Mere-Association Tendency
- Bias 11: Simple, Pain-Avoiding Psychological Denial
- Bias 12: Excessive Self-Regard Tendency
- Bias 13: Overoptimism Tendency
- Bias 14: Deprival-Superreaction Tendency
- Bias 15: Social-Proof Tendency
- Bias 16: Contrast-Misreaction Tendency
- Bias 17: Stress-Influence Tendency
- Bias 18: Availability-Misweighing Tendency
- Bias 19: Use-It-or-Lose-It Tendency
- Bias 20: Drug-Misinfluence Tendency
- Bias 21: Senescence-Misinfluence Tendency
- Bias 22: Authority-Misinfluence Tendency
- Bias 23: Twaddle Tendency
- Bias 24: Reason-Respective Tendency
- Bias 25: Lollapalooza Tendency