C-Suitism, CEO Longevity, Amoeba and Socialism
Secularism is being used as a detergent, to wash off all the sins of the political leaders that were ready to help their sworn opposition – Congress ! 🙂
- AMOEMA – SOCIALISM AND Dr. Lohia – I thought about a Respected Socialist leader Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia whom I heard when I was 11-12 at Bhopal MLA Rest house speeches. For a young man my vivid memory is about what he talked about Socialism. Socialist Party had broken then into SSP and PSP – the Praja Socialist Party and Sanyukta Socialist Party. ( I was fortunate to meet many of their leaders N.G.Goray, George Fernandes and Madhu Limaye in my childhood – they were accessible and easy to speak to then. Dr. Lohia gave the example of AMOEBA . While he must have been painted at the break up he said – ‘As a Socialist, you should be like Amoeba – always breaking itself into parts which are live and creating more like itself’. Over the past 50 years I have seen several Socialist factions breaking and forming new political outfits. India by a last known count to me had 1866 political outfits registered and about 300 more waiting registration as political party by Election Commission. This explains the Post-Independence era Socialism which had found a way to break itself and each breakaway was influential enough to win a few seats and have a name in some of the other state.
- Now when I look at this, I find some interesting findings here
- Leaders like Lohia ji knew there would be a Crowd at the top even with a Collective Leadership and there would be ambition.
- Those with Influence and Money and a followership would surely like to ‘Self-Actualise like the HR therory of Motivation and would like to be ‘Entrepreneurial’ and would like to BOOM – Become One’s Own Man.
- His only caveat or teaching to them was perhaps – Remain Socialists at heart and Head.
- We see the RJD headed by Lalu Prasad Yadav, SP headed by MSY, JDU headed by Sharad Yadav and the JDS headed by Ex PM DeveGowda or many other smaller outfits who have had a lesser or longer longevity in the past or present – all point to the Amoeba mentality and the spirit of Entrepreneurship and going on their own – Self Actualising themselves as leaders of their own outfit which knowing well that some of their own will break away and form a party some day.
- I draw a parallel here with the CEOs of today. I read that the average longevity of an External CEO ( compared to – and I hate this term “Home grown timber” which passes thru the very subjective ‘On Listing’ and ‘Off Listing’ Process – much like the Judicial Collegium of India ( which IMHO has become a joke) ; is about 18 months.
- So the current day CEO must have a back up plan ready even before he takes up the position in view of the Risks involved and the contracts he’d be required to sign about not joining competition etc. and the money he’d have to repay if he’s to resign before the end of the contract.
- In my view, like it of not – C-Suites are creating their own brand of Socialist-Capitalism with the current trends which are very Amoeba like – as the CEO who gets fired before the contract ends or the one who completes a short term contract by does not get a renewal is left to ‘Self-Actualise’ as either a New Start Up or an Angel Investor, VC, PE depending upon how much money he has saved, how many close followers he has to fill his Start Up team and start a new business OR join a totally different industry// business altogether for short term again.
- Some of our C-Suite members therefore like Amoeba – See what the Wikipedia has to say about it:
An amoeba (/əˈmiːbə/; rarely spelled amœba, US English commonly ameba; plural am(o)ebas or am(o)ebae /əˈmiːbiː/), often called amoeboid, is a type of cell or organism which has the ability to alter its shape, primarily by extending and retracting pseudopods. Amoebas do not form a singletaxonomic group; instead, they are found in every major lineage of eukaryoticorganisms. Amoeboid cells occur not only among the protozoa, but also infungi, algae, and animals.Microbiologists often use the terms “amoeboid” and “amoeba” interchangeably for any organism that exhibits amoeboid movement.In older classification systems, most amoebas were placed in the class orsubphylum Sarcodina, a grouping of single-celled organisms that possess pseudopods or move by protoplasmic flow. However, molecular phylogenetic studies have shown that Sarcodina is not a monophyletic group whose members sharecommon descent. Consequently, amoeboid organisms are no longer classified together in one group.
The best known amoeboid protists are the “Giant Amoebae” Chaos carolinense and Amoeba proteus, both of which are widely cultivated and studied in classrooms and laboratories. Other well known species include the so-called “brain-eating amoeba” Naegleria fowleri, the intestinal parasite Entamoeba histolytica, which causes amoebic dysentery, and the multicellular “social amoeba” or slime mould Dictyostelium discoideum.
- What is Self – Actualisation :