The Second ism I pick up is called Atheism. I know it is taboo ( atleast was in the environment I studied) to speak about Religion, Sex and Politics in business conversations. That being so, Atheism is still very important for the C-Suitor is my humble opinion. I found this nice picture and slightly difficult to read definition on this picture below – but sorry, I do not know whom to attribute this picture.
No one asks this question enough.
The reason no one asks this question a lot is because most people have preconceived ideas and notions about what an Atheist is and is not. Where these preconceived ideas come from varies, but they tend to evolve from theistic influences or other sources.
Atheism is usually defined incorrectly as a belief system. Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods. Older dictionaries define atheism as “a belief that there is no God.” Some dictionaries even go so far as to define Atheism as “wickedness,” “sinfulness,” and other derogatory adjectives. Clearly, theistic influence taints dictionaries. People cannot trust these dictionaries to define atheism. The fact that dictionaries define Atheism as “there is no God” betrays the (mono)theistic influence. Without the (mono)theistic influence, the definition would at least read “there are no gods.”
Atheism is the absence of belief in any Gods or spiritual beings. The word Atheism comes from a, meaning without, and theism meaning belief in god or gods.
- Atheists don’t use God to explain the existence of the universe.
- Atheists say that human beings can devise suitable moral codes to live by without the aid of Gods or scriptures.
Reasons for non-belief
People are atheist for many reasons
, among them:
- They find insufficient evidence to support any religion.
- They think that religion is nonsensical.
- They once had a religion and have lost faith in it.
- They live in a non-religious culture.
- Religion doesn’t interest them.
- Religion doesn’t seem relevant to their lives.
- Religions seem to have done a lot of harm in the world.
- The world is such a bad place that there can’t be a God.
Many atheists are also secularist
, and are hostile to any special treatment given to organised religion. It is possible to be both atheist and religious. Virtually all Buddhists
manage it, as do some adherents of other religions,such as Judaism
as much as Hinduism.
At work place, and may be I am old fashioned, in teams around the Multinational C Suitor’s world they will come across all kinds. My advice – Make Politics, Sex and Religion as Zero Tolerance NO NO at workplace and in business discussions. ( Italics are mine)