Earlier this month I shared three interview questions I used with success as the CEO of the Taproot Foundation. “Three Killer Interview Questions” was read by over 200,000 professionals and generated nearly 600 comments. Many people found it helpful, some thought the questions were idiotic and some even reported that research had demonstrated that interviews are not effective regardless of the questions.
My favorite comments, however, were those from managers who shared their own “killer” interview questions. Here are the 32 interview questions you posted. Some are brilliant and others perhaps a little less so but I will let you be the judge.
- What’s the biggest mistake you mistake you made in your life and what did you learn from it?
- If in 3months you found the job not to be what you expected it to be, what would it look like?
- What superhero would you be and why?
- What is one misconception people have about you?
- If you were a kitchen appliance what would you be?
- Why shouldn’t I call for a reference and why?
- So what are you going to do for us?
- Who are your heroes and why?
- What works for you and why? How can you increase your interaction with the energy generators? And what can you do to be one yourself?
- Who at your former place of work gave you the most energy and why?
- What do you think will be the biggest challenges you and I will face in your first 3 months on the job?
- What kind of person do you like to work with?
- If you could wave a magic wand, what ill in the world would you solve and why?
- You are on your death bed for what do you want to be remembered?
- Can you do this job?
- Why are you qualified?
- What was your most and least satisfying job and why?
- What is your view of office and business politics? How does it work? Can it be used in a positive way?
- What’s been your best work that you think you are proud of yourself and what about them could you have done better?
- Describe a time when you missed a deadline/revenues/failed to meet expectations and why? How did you feel? What lesson did you learn from it?
- What are top 2 professional traits people in the company will miss or not the miss the most about you?
- Why did you sign on for the position? What kept you there months and years later?
- When was the last time you lost your temper? What was the situation and why do you think this affects you so?
- What was unfair about your last job?
- What motivates you and what doesn’t?
- What is your 5 year goal?
- Tell me in no more than 2 words what you think we do?
- How many companies are you actively pursuing at the moment?
- What industries are you interested in?
- If your current employer offered you the same would you stay? Why or why not?
- If you are hired for the position, what would your top priorities be in the coming quarter?Which of these questions do you like? Dislike? Any you would add to the list?